Dismantling is still the most eco-responsible way of recycling. All material can be reduced to metals, plastics, PCB's, batteries and so on. All of these materials can be resold or remanufactured. It also requires less energy to remanufacture than to manufacture. 2nds IT performs dismantling on site.
Sustainable efforts at 2nds IT
2nds IT is committed to being an environmental advocate. We continually seek opportunities to protect our planet's resources by reducing electronic waste, conserving energy and water and using recycled products.
All collected IT assets are either reused or recycled. Where computers are deemed unusable they are recycled using various intricate methods to break down materials that would otherwise go to landfill.
Dismantling hardware is still the most eco-responsible way of recycling. We separate metals, plastics, glass, batteries etc. A lot of this waste contains high levels of toxins such as mercury, lead and phosphor which are damaging to our environment.
At the same time this waste also contains valuable resources that are reusable including copper, iron and nickel. In most cases it requires less energy to recycle these materials than it takes to produce. Any material that cannot be reused is dismantled for further processing.
Hard drives that cannot be wiped are shredded on site. The PCB is removed from the drive and the platters are shredded. The metals are then sent to a local recycling plant. (See the shredder in action in the video above, and the output from the shredder below.)
- teel - crushed and sent locally to be re-smelted.
- Batteries - All dry batteries are sent locally for separation and recovery.
- Power supplies - either reused or dismantled into steel, plastic, copper and PCBs.
- Electric motors - reused or separated into steel and copper.
- Cables - reused or stripped into plastic and copper.
- PCB's (printed circuit boards) - shipped to Korea for de-manufacture and crushing; the IC's are often reused in new products.
- Toners - recycled locally in Sydney.
- Mobile phones - we are a drop off point for MobileMuster, a free Mobile phone recycling program.
- 2nds IT adheres to the compliance guidelines set out by the state and federal government when it comes to dismantling, sorting and recycling IT equipment.
- 2nds IT is AS/NZS ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management Systems certified - this is our guarantee to you that we do it right.